Colour Challenge

Hey Cheeky,
I am sorry I've not been updating this week. My meds seem to be causing problems and when I haven't been cooking I've been miserable. But thankfully you set the challenge for the week and that helped me relax yesterday, so thank you very much.

I'll get straight into the challenge, because I haven't shown you anything except the paper I picked, and I'm dying to know what you think.

First of all, we gave each other a colour scheme. This is the one you picked for me. So pretty, and the photo really helped me come up with what I was going to do. I decided that I wanted to make a flip book, and the colouring medium I wanted to use was patterned paper. Mainly because I knew I had some paper that matched the picture, and amazingly enough it even had most of the colours (not the dark green though, but I could work around that!).

I gathered together everything I thought I might use, and then decided to narrow things down.
Lots of stuff here to choose from.

The things I ended up using were:

  • Paper - Remember Me, by KaiserCraft (includes a sticker sheet)
  • Journal Card - Antique Bliss, by KaiserCraft
  • Alphabet stickers - Tiny Letters in Chocolate by Kaisercraft, plus a random green set from my stash No idea where they're frorm. 
  • Plastic leaves, again, no idea where they're from
  • Twin Marker Metalic Green pen
  • Maroon Pearl stickers, from Portacraft I think. 
  • Happy Sticker - from the Reject Shop
  • Embossing Powder - Metallic Gold from Wow
  • Stamps - The poppy one is from you, the words is from a magazine, and the sentiment on the back is from Ali Express. 
  • Glitter Drops - Honey Gold, from Nuvo (I want ALL THE COLOURS!)
  • Velum from my stash
  • Heart Die, from a magazine I think. 
  • Washi tapes - Gold glitter was Kikki K, and the white and Gold is from KMart I think. 
I think that's everything. 


I watched a couple of YouTube videos for ideas on how to make a flip book, because I wanted to do something different. This one ended up helping me the most, although I tweaked it a bit.

The flip book is made of a folded bit of paper, with a couple of envelopes attached. I used my envelope punch board to make the envelopes. I practised with some scrap paper first, to make sure it worked out basically the way I wanted.


This paper might look ok, but I'm never going to use it. I've had it for ten years at least, probably more, and it's getting scruffy. Plus - pink. Blech!

Once I was sure it was going to work out, I cut out various bits and pieces and put the thing together.
The outside of the flip book. It gets folded in half, so the left side ends up as the back. 
This is the main envelope, attached to the inside right page.

Envelope attached to the main body.

This is the reverse of the pocket for the inside left page. 

I was taking photos as I went through, but once I'd put it all together I didn't take photos until I was finished decorating, because I wanted the final result to be a surprise. So here it is, all done. 
Front Cover:
The clock is a sticker from the paper pack, and the hello is a stamp from Ali Express. The leaves I've had for ages. No idea where they came from.

Inside left page
 The border, bunting and little flower are from the sticker sheet in the paper pack, and the pearl beads are from my stash. The stickers on the kaisercraft sticker sheets are thick, but the adhesive is never as good as I'd like. I think I'll end up adding some more glue behind them and stuff, to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart as soon as I use it.
Back of the envelope. This is the right page, when you first open the flip book. 
This is the back of the envelope, and there's a closer photo a bit further down. This is just to show you how it looks as you open it.
Inner envelope and 'you make me happy' sentitment
 I wanted to write 'Goodies' on this envelope, but I didn't have any more es. Oh well. This envelope folds down and there will be goodies for you in there.

The sentitment is made up of a bunch of tiny alphabet stickers that are adorable but SO FREAKING SMALL!. The Happy is popped up on foam dots.
Journal card flap
 This is my favourite part of the whole flip book. There's a closer photo a bit further down.
Journal Card flap and smaller envelope opened up
The big poppy image is another sticker. It's so beautiful. I wish I had a stamp of it, but this design is so old it's been retired. Oh well. At least it's getting used.

The heart is cut from velum. I had to put it through my die cutter a few times to get it to all cut out, and then I realised that I'd forgotten to put the adhesive on the back. I wanted to use a double sided adhesive sheet, die cut at the same time, so it would all be covered in sticky stuff and you wouldn't be able to see it. But yeah, forgot to do that. Luckily it wasn't the easiest thing to get out of the die, so it was still in there when I remembered. All I did was add the sticky sheet to the back of the velum, still in the die, ran it through again a couple of times, and then spent the next seven hours (give or take) getting the damn thing out of the die to stick down. I had originally planned on sticking on the page below, but you couldn't see it. So I popped it in the inside of the envelope.
Back cover
 The back. I wanted to leave most of this image visible because it's so beautiful, but I needed to do something in the top right corner to balance it out. Hence the stamp.
Like I said earlier, this is my favourite part. I stamped the image, which is from one of the stamp sets you've sent me, I think it's from the Action. It's embossed with gold embossing powder, and it's actually stamped onto one of the journal cards from the same set as the card it's actually stuck to, if that makes any sense. It probably doesn't. But anyway. The card has a light grid pattern on it. The flowers are painted with KaiserMists, and it is so shiny! I love it. It turned out so well, and that is always a nice surprise. I tried taking so many photos of this to try and get the sparkle, but hopefully you can tell. If not, well you'll see it when I send it to you I guess.
This is a close up of the back of the envelope. I rubbed my embossing ink along the edged and added gold embossing powder to give it that sort of smudgy border. That is another fun technique I've been hooked on lately. The dots in the top right are the reason I'm posting this today and not yesterday. I had to wait for the dots to dry. When you use Glitter drops the binder is cloudy, so they look so different. When they dry it gets clear and all you see is the glitter. It takes a while for it to dry though. 

I'll have to add some clear tape to the spine I think, and I'll add a letter and goodies and all that, but overall I'm really happy with it. What do you think? Do you approve? I hope so, because I'm probably going to send it to you!! 

Ok. I have another few posts I need to do, with photos of our trip to Cowra, plus some biscuits I made, a card I made for a neighbour's new baby, and the international meal for May, but my neck is starting to ache so I think I'll go looking for a cup of tea and then maybe head to bed. 

*hugs* Take care love. 
Love Dorky. 




Comments

  1. I love it! I love that paper pack too! Plus if you ever find that poppy stamp can you get one for me too? When will this be sent my way!?

    Thank you for doing this with me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts